Jimi Hendrix’s 1956 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Fillmore West, Miami Pop)access_time First seen circa 1968
Jimi started using this guitar around April 1968. The earliest photos date to April 5th, 1968 [Newark (Symphony Hall) : 5 avril 1968], which could possibly mean that this is something Jimi acquired at the Manny’s Music shop, which is just a 30-minute drive from the Symphony Hall. The guitar seemed the have been used exclusively on the song “Red House”.
The guitar was most famously used at Bill Graham’s Fillmore East venue in New York on May 10, 1968 [Jimi Hendrix performing at the Fillmore East (Photo by Frank Mastropolo/Corbis via Getty Images)], and at the Miami Pop Festival on May 18th. Aside from these two, Hendrix apparently hasn’t really played the Les Paul Custom that much, since we have been able to spot it only on a handful of gigs around this same period.
Jimi’s Les Paul Custom today
The guitar is currently owned by the Hard Rock Cafe International, and can be seen at their restaurant in Chicago on 63 West Ontario St. According to the info posted on their website, the guitar was made in 1956. At this time, we have inquired their memorabilia staff about more info on the guitar.