Bio: David Howell Evans was born 8 August 1961 in Barking, Essex – England to a Welsh family, but was raised in Ireland after moving there as an infant. He became widely known as the guitarist, backing vocalist, and keyboardist of the Irish rock band U2. He is probably better known by his stage name The Edge – a nickname that was given to him by Bono, and which was inspired by the sharp features of his face, but it also applied to his sharp mind and the way he always observed things from the edge.
As member of the U2, he has recorded 12 studio albums with the band and has released one solo record. The Edge’s unmistakable guitar sound – clean, sharp, incisive, and cutting-Edge – became a U2′s trademark.
The Edge’s Electric Guitars:
1976 Gibson Explorer
|Edge bought it in 1978 for $248.40 in a guitar shop called “The Stuyvesant Music” while he was on a vacation in the New York City with his family. This is the first guitar Edge has ever recorded with, and the first guitar he bought with the idea of playing in the band.
From then on, Edge used the Explorer on every studio recording and almost on every tour with the band.
In 2008 edge decided to put his Gibson Explorer up for auction to benefit Music Rising, a non-profit organization that helped to replace damaged or destroyed instruments in the wake of the devastating Hurricane Katrina. It was sold for $240,000.
1973 Fender Stratocaster
|This is guitar that was used on the “Where The Streets Have No Name” and also on “Bad and Still Haven’t Found”. It has a maple neck and Edge often plays it plugged into Vox AC30 with an old analog delay.
This Fender already had the Dimarzio FS1 fitted on the bridge when Edge bought it.Edge also has a 1968 Fender Tobacco Stratocaster with rosewood and a 1973 Fender Cream Stratocaster with a maple neck.
1966 Gibson SG Standard
|This is the guitar Edge uses on stage for “Elevation“, and thus far it’s been featured only on that song.
He also owns a Gibson 1965 Pelham Blue SG Les Paul Standard.
1966 Rickenbacker Fireglo 330-12
|Edge used the Rickenbacker on songs “Angel Of Harlem” and ”Love Rescue Me”. He has another Rickenbacker identical to this one as a spare.
He also owns a Rickenbacker 1967 Maple Rickenbacker 330-12 and the identical spare one.
1975 Gibson Les Paul White Custom
|Edge purchased it on 49th street in New York city in 1982, and it was the third guitar he ever bought after his Explorer and the black Strat. He played it on “New Years Day” and “Love Comes To Town”.
This guitar was also put on the auction to help raise money to help people still struggling from Hurricane Katrina for a final price of $288, 000.
After Edge gave away this guitar, Gibson surprised him and made an exact replica. In an interview Dallas Schoo said that neither him nor Edge knew about this. This is what he said after UPS delivered the guitar to his house:
He has couple of more Les Pauls, including his 2005 and his 2006 Gibson “Music Rising”.
1966 Fender Telecaster
|his is the guitar Edge wrote the song “Vertigo” on.
He also owns few more Telecasters, including:
1963 Gretsch Chet Atkins Walnut Country Gentleman
|Edge played it on “Magnificent” at the David Letterman Show.
He also owns a 1968 Gretsch Walnut Country Gentleman, and a new model 2009 Chet Atkins Walnut Country Gentleman fitted with Piezo Fishman Acoustic System
The Edge’s Acoustic Guitars:
200x Taylor 714ce
|Edge played it in Miami for opening night of Elevation.|
1980s Washburn EA20 Woodstock
|Used in the 80s as his main until the Zoo tours.
Edge’s Washbrun was a stock tobacco sunburst model amplified by a Piezo pickup under the bridge, and decorated with a sticker saying ” Support Your Local Musician”.
2006 Gibson Blonde “Pete Townshend” SJ-200
|He also owns two 2008 Gibson Blonde SJ-200 and one with the tobacco sunburst finish.|
Line 6 Variax 700
|The Edge uses his Line 6 Variax 700′s on live performances of “The Fly” and “Love and Peace”.
The Edge also uses a number of Taylor guitars (710, 814ce, 914ce) and Martin guitars (1972 and 2008 D12-28).
The Edge’s Guitar Amps:
– 1964 VOX AC30TB Grey Panel
This is Edge’s main amp. It’s fitted with Jensen Blue Alnico 12″ and Silver Jensen Alnico 12″ speakers. It also has Marshall capacitors. This AC30 has been used to record every U2 album.
Edge has the similar backup amp in the background.
– 1970′s VOX AC30TB Grey Panel
Bono’s old AC30TB, with a hole in the speaker cloth due to Bono kicking it.
– 1958 Fender Tweed Deluxe
This amp is fitted with a Vox speaker.
– 1957 Fender Tweed Deluxe
Fitted with a Jensen speaker.
– 1972 VOX AC30TB Grey Panel (hidden)
– 1959 Fender Tweed Deluxe (hidden)
– 1956 Fender Harvard (hidden)
– 1974 VOX AC30TB Red Panel
– 2008 Marshall 50Watt 1987X Amp Head
– 1966 4 X 12″ Closed Back Cabinet w/Celestion Vintage Speakers (Mick Ralphs owned)
The Edge’s Effects:
– Line 6 DM4 Distortion Modeler
– Electro-Harmonix POG Octave Guitar Effect Pedal
– Digitech XSW Synth Wah Envelope Filter Guitar Pedal
– BOSS NS-2 Noise Suppressor
– BOSS CS-3 Compressor Sustainer
– Ibanez TS9 Tubescreamer
– Death By Audio Harmonic Transformer Pedal
– BOSS CS-2 Compression Sustainer
– BOSS GE-7 7-Band EQ Pedal
– Drive Breaker Distortion pedal
– BOSS FET FA-1 Amplifier
– Skrydstrup BR-1 “Bufferooster” pedal
– Death By Audio Fuzz Gun
– Lovetone Doppleganger Phaser/Vibrato
– Lovetone Meatball Auto Wah/Dynamic Filter
– Durham Electonics Sex Drive Clean Boost Effects Pedal
– BOSS PW-2 Power Driver
– Remote Wah Controller
– Digitech WH 1 Whammy Pedal
– Dunlop Crybaby Wah
– BOSS TU-3 Chromatic Tuner
– Skrydstrup SC1 + SC1 Extensions + Extension Plus Controller
The Edge’s Guitar Strings:
He uses uses different gauges for different guitars. These are ones listed here:
– D’Addario EXL110 XL Reg Lite .10-.46
– D’Addario EXL115 XL Blues Jazz .11-.49
– D’Addario EXL116 XL Medium Top Heavy .11-.52
– D’Addario EXL 140 Light Top/Heavy Bottom .10-.52
– D’Addario EXL 150 Light 12 String .10-.46
– Ernie Ball P02233 12 String Electric .009-.046
– D’Addario Phosphor Bronze Wound EJ15 Extra Light .10-.47
– D’Addario Phosphor Bronze Wound EJ26 Custom Light .11-.52
– Martin MSP 4050 Bronze Custom Light .11-.52
– Martin MSP 4000 Bronze .10-.47
– Martin M500 Extra Light Acoustic Bronze 12 String .10-.47
The Edge’s Guitar Picks:
– D’Andrea medium Nylon Picks
– Herdim German Medium Nylon Picks